Sunday, November 28, 2010

Clarity is what I need.

There is just something about the stretch of road between Gastonia and Atlanta. The drive there brought on so many memories..as I left North Carolina and entered South..I just got so reminiscent about the good old days of college. One of my best friends is from right outside of Atlanta and I would often make this trek with her down to her parents home. We had certain customs that we always had to fulfill on our trips down. It was like an itch that had to be scratched..the first one came as I drove through Gaffney, SC. As I drove past the Watertower that was painted and fashioned like a peach..I saluted it! Every time we drove past the peach it had to be saluted. It was unheard of to not salute the peach. It was a custom that we started freshman year and continued to this day.

As we traveled we always listened to our favorite tunes..in college is was NSYNC, Third Day, Rascal Flats, Kelly Clarkson, etc...this time around I listened to my Glee playlist and various Christmas songs..it was pure bliss. It made the trip bearable. As the I counted down the exits and got closer to the stateline between Georgia and South Carolina..I had to turn on Georgia on my Mind by John Mayer..that was always a custom to play as we crossed over the border..which is always perfect for the situation. I wanted to make it as far as I could so I didn't stop at my usual exit 149 the Commerce exit..but, instead I stopped at 129 when my gas tank glared at me when a red light to state that it was in need of substance..I really regretted not going to Commerce perhaps I wouldn't have had to worry so much had i stopped for gas there.

My Thanksgiving weekend was almost completely perfect. I stayed with my friend at her parent's house just like old times. I got there just before the appetizers on Thursday..I'm on a bit of a limited diet but, I ate what I could because for heaven's sake, ITS THANKSGIVING! We ate way too much, but it was just perfect. The weekend was filled with eating, shopping at 3 am, sleeping in the middle of the day, HARRY POTTER, texting, watching flash mob videos, discussing the awesomeness of Sarah Addison Allen, listening to her father talk which makes me laugh every single time, forced football viewings, (500) days of Summer, walking around a monastery that has an AWESOME bonsai garden (I need to take pictures next time), making cookies, driving around the town blaring various songs including Marry you, Grenade, Just the Way You Are by Bruno Mars, the entire Glee Soundtrack, and then old favorites sprinkled through out the the weekend..ie, we pulled out an old mix cd that I made for her in college named "Mellow Yellow" which was RANDOM. It had everything from Incubus to Kelly Clarkson, to the Beatles, to Knock Three TImes. I don't know what I was thinking when I made that cd..I must have been writing my thesis. The only downfall of the whole weekend is I lost my cell phone. I was completely desperate for it..but, as it turned out I ended up leaving at the CVS around the corner from her house. I didn't find this out until I was almost home...but its okay that I left my phone..It gave me the opportunity to really think about my life, what I want, and what I need to do to get what I want.

As I drove North on 85, and got caught in the aftermath of "rubberneckers" of three different accidents..which actually caused my trip to go from a 3.5 hour trip to over 6 hour ride. I'm exhausted now..but, the ability to travel all those miles without anyone to talk to, it gave me the time to think about what is lacking. This is what I've decided. I need to be surrounded by people who wholeheartedly support me. I don't have that in my life right now. I feel like I need to move to get that support. I do have excellent friends where I live, but they are not selfless. I just think that friendship means to put your friends before yourself when they are in need. I strive to be that way..it hurts to know that I don't have many people surrounding me that have same philosophy. I had a really rough day today, but it could have been so much easier if I had their support. But, I made it through because I did what I had to do..so not going to complain..just going to mentally make a note and start looking for new opportunities. I also thought about how I need to finish my teaching degree..I have to do it for myself. I am never going to be happy or content with myself if I allow myself to just let this opportunity to go away without even trying. So I am going to look into MAT programs, and at least apply..if I can't do it..then at least I can say that I tried. I'm thinking schools in Durham, Georgia, and Maryland. I am so ready for change. With that thought, I need to crash. G'Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment